The call for NGO representatives to address the United Nations General Assembly on the World Drug Problem is now open. The UNGASS will take place from 19-21st April 2016. Speakers chosen will have expenses covered. Priority to those living in the global south.
The Special Session of the General Assembly on the World Drug Problem (UNGASS 2016) will be convened from 19 – 21 April 2016 at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The UNGASS will feature a general debate plenary and five interactive, multi-stakeholder round tables conducted in parallel with the plenary.
A selection process is now opento identify speakers from civil society, the scientific community, academia, youth groups and other relevant stakeholders that may participate in the special session. Eleven (11) speakers will be selected: six (6) for the plenary and five (5) – one for each of the interactive round tables.
The following criteria will be used when selecting speakers:
• Must represent an organization actively working in the drug field and be authorized to speak on behalf of that organization;
• Gender balance;
• Geographical balance and in the case of equal qualification, representatives from the Global South will be prioritised;
• Thematic balance in terms of approaches to drug policies;
• The call is open to representatives of ECOSOC and non-ECOSOC accredited NGOs
In addition, selected representatives must:
• be able to speak compellingly within the context of an intergovernmental plenary or the respective round table;
• be available to be in New York on 19 April;
• have a visa for travel to New York, if applicable, or be able to obtain one within 4 weeks for travel to New York. The selected speakers will be responsible for obtaining the visa for travel and for any costs associated with obtaining the visa.
The final selection of speakers will be made by the Office of the President of the General Assembly in collaboration with the Civil Society Task Force (CSTF) for UNGASS 2016.
Please note that travel funding is available for speakers chosen through this process.
To apply to speak at UNGASS 2016, please complete the form available here. The deadline to apply is 7 March 2016, Midnight, EST.
We encourage you to share this call for speakers widely in your networks!
For more information about the special session, side events and participants registration, please visit the website: http://www.ungass2016.org. To learn more about the CSTF, please see: www.cstfondrugs.org